Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Important announcement

This just in.....

Here is the address of the Christmas Potato site. Nothing has changed or been corrected in ages because I can't log in and nobody seems to be able to help me or respond to my letters. So...
here's the address:

http://web.mac.com/rkoogar/the_life_of_riley/Welcome.html

Consider the typos and mistakes as little where's waldo's you are trying to find.

There's some good stuff there and it explains all about holiday potato tossing.

Also here is a link to a great page about Truman Capote and his story, "A Christmas Memory."

http://sixthcolumn.typepad.com/duckwalls/2008/12/truman-capote-a.html

More than anything else this story and the Frank Perry filmed based on it made me want to write and create movies. I related to Buddy I guess. Elements of his life fit into my head as part of how I rightly or wrongly perceived mine. My family made fudge instead of fruitcakes although one year dad made some that lasted until we moved from Topeka in '73. As an employee of the federal government he wasn't allowed to to throw them out without filing an environmental impact statement. Okay, that's a lie, but it wouldn't have been a bad idea. Every time I go to Topeka I visit the spot where I disposed of them illegally to see if they have started breaking down and decomposing. Two years ago I could have sworn there was a small spot missing, maybe a loose pecan or piece of candied fruit had been torn away by one of the dead squirrels littering the ground near the spot. The ground is cursed and no successful development has taken place in that area.

Capote's books lend themselves to being read aloud. Not all books do that. Check out the audio file of the book at that link. Got to run. The library just called and they got a Bud Shrake book I've been looking for.

No comments:

Post a Comment